Refer to manufacturer of tow vehicle.
What is the longest/widest/highest I can go?
The total combination is less than 19m and the trailer is less than 12.5m, 2.5m wide, 4.3m high. All these are without permits.
How much can I put on a single axle?
9000kg on 4 tyres.
What type of brakes do I need?
- Up to 750kg GTM – exempt.
- Up to 2000kg GTM – effective override brakes.
- Up to 4500kg GTM – Breakaway brakes, electric, air, twin line vacuum.
- Over 4500kg GTM – Federal Office of Road Safety complied, air over mechanical braking system including complete with electronic ABS on the trailer.
- Over 9000kg GTM – Federal Office of Road Safety complied, air over mechanical braking system with electronic ABS and EBS protection on the trailer.
This differs distinctly from
AGGREGATE TRAILER MASS (ATM) – the total mass of the laden trailer when carrying the maximum load recommended by the ‘Manufacturer’. This will include any mass imposed onto the drawing vehicle when the ‘Combination Vehicle’ is resting on a horizontal supporting plane.
TARE MASS this is the unladen weight of the trailer